How to install aircrack-ng suite on the Raspberry Pi

About: In some cases you may need to install the aircrack-ng suite on a Raspberry Pi that’s dedicated to hacking like the official Raspbian distro. That’s not a problem. Installing aircrack-ng on the Raspberry Pi is very easy and I’ll show you how to get it up and running in just a few steps. This tutorial is also useful if you need to update your aircrack-ng suite when using Kali or PwnPi that comes with an older version.

Objective: To demonstrate how to install aircrack-ng suite on the Raspbian distro for the Raspberry Pi

Material: You will need the following:

Instructions: Let’s begin by installing the libraries that are needed to get aircrack-ng to work on the Raspberry Pi. Type in the following command:

Now that we have the libraries downloaded and installed, run the following commands to download the latest version of aircrack-ng and then we’ll unzip it and install it. You may want to check out the aircrack-ng download page here and verify the url of the latest linux version. I tested this tutorial with  aircrack-ng 1.2-RC3.

After we have built aircrack-ng from the source and installed it we will need to update the IEEE OUI file. The OUI is most often used to create IEEE 802-defined MAC addresses and we need it to run aircrack-ng

That’s it. aircrack-ng is now installed and ready to go. We will now test it by putting our wireless card into monitor mode with the following command:

This should put our wireless card into monitor mode and it will create a new interface called ‘wlan0mon’ which we will use in the next step to see what networks are around us. Type the following command to see what networks are around us:

If you see a list of networks around you then you are done! If you have any questions post a comment below and I’ll try to help you out.

16 Comments

• Jang

April 6, 2016

Hello! Thanks for giving this information!

By the way, when I trying to ‘airodump-ng-oui-update’, it is running [*] Downloading IEEE OUI file… , and after about 5hours, I received message.

‘[*] Error: Failed to download OUI list, aborting…’.

What’s wrong in my raspberry?!

Please help me..

• chidambaram

October 7, 2016

just to re correct the third line, *cd aircrack-ng-1.2-rc4

• Pingback: How to Install Wifite on the Raspberry Pi – Kamil's Lab

• Manoel Stilpen

May 11, 2017

Why it’s necessary a USB Wireless Adapter ?

• dayz

May 22, 2017

The onboard WiFi adapter on the Raspberry Pi 3 is unable to go into monitor mode which is what we need.

• Christopher

July 10, 2017

I am currently ssh’ing into my Pi from my notebook computer using my wifi adaptor. Will I be able to put the adapter into monitor mode and maintain my connection to ssh? I currently do not have a monitor but I do have a console cable that I can use if necessary. I wanted to keep the Pi in another room running while I work on the notebook in another room.

Any feedback is appreciated.

• parsa

December 2, 2017

hi Christopher
      yes you can
      i do it with my phone ,vnc on onboard wifi and wifi hacking and monitor mode on external wifi adapter

• Umair

August 24, 2017

I have used raspberry pi 3 with kali linux and there was no need of wireless adapter…is this specific with raspbian..??

• Rik

September 27, 2017

@Dayz

Thank you very much sir!

Got it installed on my first-gen 5 YO Raspberry Pi B.

FYI: Because I had OpenSSL 1.1.0 on my fresh Raspbian install, compilation ended in error, like “storage size of ‘ctx’ isn’t known”. To make it compile, I had to revert to the OpenSSL 1.0 DEV library. So I changed the first line. Here’s how it worked for me today, installing the RC4 of Aircrack :

sudo apt-get -y install libssl1.0-dev libnl-3-dev libnl-genl-3-dev ethtool
    wget http://download.aircrack-ng.org/aircrack-ng-1.2-rc4.tar.gz
    tar -zxvf aircrack-ng-1.2-rc4.tar.gz
    cd aircrack-ng-1.2-rc4
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    sudo airodump-ng-oui-update

Cheers!

• Rik

September 27, 2017

@Christopher

Not sure if you can, I got myself a second Wi-Fi dongle of type Ralink RT5370, that supports monitor mode. It costs me 4 USD (http://www.ebay.com/itm/802-11n-g-b-150Mbps-Mini-USB-WiFi-Wireless-Adapter-Network-Ralink-RT5370-/282100006228?hash=item41ae787d54:g:a9gAAOSwRgJXhlEl). Runs fine as wlan1 next to the LAN adapter at wlan0.

• Tech49

October 22, 2017

To counter the errors from crypto.c during ‘make’ phase, also pre install [ libssl1.0-dev ]
    You now receive warnings but you can safely ignore those.

(taken from https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=172407)

• Mingus

November 12, 2017

When running ‘make’ I get the following error message. Any suggestions?

crypto.c:291:11: error: storage size of ‘ctx’ isn’t known
    HMAC_CTX ctx;
    ^~~
    crypto.c:317:2: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘HMAC_CTX_init’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
    HMAC_CTX_init(&ctx);
    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
    crypto.c:327:2: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘HMAC_CTX_cleanup’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
    HMAC_CTX_cleanup(&ctx);
    ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    crypto.c:291:11: warning: unused variable ‘ctx’ [-Wunused-variable]
    HMAC_CTX ctx;
    ^~~
    crypto.c: In function ‘calc_tkip_mic_key’:
    crypto.c:932:5: warning: this ‘if’ clause does not guard… [-Wmisleading-indentation]
    if((ptr-message) % 4 > 0)
    ^~
    crypto.c:933:49: note: …this statement, but the latter is misleadingly indented as if it is guarded by the ‘if’
    memcpy(ptr, ZERO, 4-((ptr-message)%4)); ptr+=4-((ptr-message)%4);
    ^~~
    : recipe for target ‘crypto.o’ failed
    make[1]: *** [crypto.o] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/home/pi/aircrack-ng-1.2-rc3/src’
    Makefile:25: recipe for target ‘all’ failed
    make: *** [all] Error 2

• Charlie

November 15, 2017

libssl1.0-dev for Raspi 3 Stretch

• SISY

December 25, 2017

: recipe for target ‘crypto.o’ failed
    make[1]: *** [crypto.o] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/home/aircrack-ng-1.2-rc3/src’
    Makefile:25: recipe for target ‘all’ failed